1st Symposium, 2017-2018
Dewar's Centre, Perth
Wednesday 4th October 2017 - Thursday 5th October 2017
Talks at the symposium
- Algebra (Iain Gordon)
- Applied Analysis and PDEs (Lehel Banjai), plus video of Hopf bifurcation of brake squeal
- Applied Mathematics Methods (David Pritchard)
- Geometry and Topology (Ivan Cheltsov)
- Mathematical Models (Peter Stewart)
- Probability (Fraser Daly)
- Pure Analysis (Stuart White)
- Statistics (Steve Buckland)
- How to get a PhD (Christina Cobbold)
- Supplementary modules (Tony Carbery, Andy Baker)
- Tutorials and marking (David Pritchard), plus follow-up material
- Welcome (Tom Leinster)
- What happens next? (Tom Leinster)
Thanks for your feedback on the symposium. Summary and responses.
Blurry curling photos (zip file, 17MB) taken by Tom Leinster.
The event starts with registration from 10:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday 4 October, and finishes at 15:00 on Thursday 5 October.
Map of all venues.
The opening symposium will take place in the Hay Room which is on the first floor of the Dewar's Centre. This will be signposted from reception.
AV equipment will include OHP, data projector, laptop, flipchart and screen.
Team event – Curling
A curling session will take place at the Dewar’s Centre on Wednesday 4 October at TBA.
Each team will have a curling instructor.
- You will receive a safety talk before you go on the ice.
- No alcohol to be consumed before you go on the ice.
- Wear CLEAN SOLED RUBBER TRAINERS (Outdoor trainers are fine as long as they are clean).
- Wear loose fitting trousers and warm layers on top to remove if hot.
Overnight accommodation has been reserved for Wednesday 4 October only.
Please use the registration form to let us know whether you require accommodation.
Details of the accommodation and the event have been emailed to participants.
How to get there
The Dewar's Centre where the Symposium will be held is located off Glover Street in Perth. Location details for the centre can be found by viewing this map. You might also find this map of all venues useful.
From the Bus Station travel north along Leonard Street, then left into Caledonian Road. At the junction with Glasgow Road turn left and cross the railway bridge. Glover Street is on the left past the bridge. There is also a pedestrian walkway which links Glasgow Road to the Dewar's Centre.
Perth Train Station, Leonard Street, Perth, Perthshire, PH2 8ET. Perth has train links with Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leuchers (via Dundee) and Stirling. Click National Rail for timetables.
From the Train Station travel north along Leonard Street, then left into Caledonian Road. At the junction with Glasgow Road turn left and cross the railway bridge. Glover Street is on the left past the bridge. There is also a pedestrian walkway which links Glasgow Road to the Dewar's Centre.
For directions visit RAC Routeplanner.
Tayside Contracts are carrying work in the Dewar's Centre car park on 4 October. The car park entrance will be closed between 8-12pm. There is a free car park directly across the road from the Dewar's Centre entrance called the Atrium car park.
There will be a charge for students attending this event - you should ask your department if they will cover the cost.
Students can claim their travel reimbursements from your department.