1st Symposium, 2016-2017
The Mercure Perth Hotel, West Mill Street, PH1 5QP
Wednesday 28th September 2016 - Thursday 29th September 2016
Talks at the symposium
- Algebra (Colva Roney-Dougal)
- Applied Analysis and PDEs (Lehel Banjai)
- Applied Mathematics Methods (Irene Kyza)
- Geometry and Topology (Diarmuid Crowley)
- Mathematical Models (Peter Stewart)
- Probability (Fraser Daly)
- Pure Analysis (Stuart White)
- Statistics (Steve Buckland)
- Welcome! (Tom Leinster)
- How to give a mathematics talk (Michela Ottobre)
- Becoming a professional mathematician (David Pritchard)
- Unexpected connections (Tom Leinster)
- Tutorials and marking (David Pritchard)
- What next? (Tom Leinster)
Student feedback: summary and responses
The Perth Opening Symposium will take place at the Kinnoull Suite, Mercure Perth Hotel on Wednesday 28 September and Thursday 29 September.
Registration is 10.00-11.00 on Wednesday, and the symposium willl finish approximately 15.00 on Thursday.
The Perth Opening Symposium will take place at the Kinnoull Suite, Mercure Perth Hotel on Wednesday 28 September and Thursday 29 September. AV equipment will include data projector, laptop, flipchart and screen.
Team event – Curling
A curling session will take place at the Dewar’s Centre on Wednesday 28 September from 16.00-17.35.
Each team will have a curling instructor.
- You will receive a safety talk before you go on the ice.
- No alcohol to be consumed before you go on the ice.
- Wear CLEAN SOLED RUBBER TRAINERS (Outdoor trainers are fine as long as they are clean).
- Wear loose fitting trousers and warm layers on top to remove if hot.
Overnight accommodation has been reserved for Wednesday 28 September only at the Salutation Hotel. Please use the registration form to let us know whether you require accommodation. Details of the accommodation and the event will be sent closer to the event. PLEASE NOTE THE SYMPOSIUM EVENT WILL TAKE PLACE AT ANOTHER HOTEL.
How to get there
The Mercure Perth Hotel where the Symposium will be held is located on West Mill Street, PH1 5QP, in Perth. Location details for the centre can be found by viewing this map. You might also find this map of all venues useful.
Perth Train Station, Leonard Street, Perth, Perthshire, PH2 8ET. Perth has train links with Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leuchers (via Dundee) and Stirling. Click National Rail for timetables.
For directions visit RAC Routeplanner. The Mercure Hotel has a car-park for 40 spaces.
1st year PhD students from mathematical sciences departments in consortium universities: you will not be charged (costs will be paid from the EPSRC grant or by your department).
There will be a charge for other students - you should ask your department if they will cover the cost.
Travel reimbursements for students can be claimed from your department.