2018-19: 1st Symposium
Dewar's Centre, Perth
Wednesday 3rd October 2018 - Thursday 4th October 2018
Talks at the symposium
- Welcome (Tom Leinster)
- How to give a mathematics talk: a meditation on the sentence Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo (Michela Ottobre)
- Theme talk: Structure & Symmetry (Vanya Cheltsov)
- Theme talk: Analysis (Heiko Gimperlein)
- How to manage your supervisor and get a PhD (Jim Wright)
- Supplementary modules (Mariya Ptashnyk & Tom Leinster)
- Tutorials and marking (David Pritchard)
- Theme talk: Probability and Statistics (Fraser Daly), plus handout
- Theme talk: Applications of Mathematics (David Pritchard for Mark Chaplain), plus handout
- What happens next? (Tom Leinster)
Thanks for your feedback on the symposium. Summary and responses.
The event starts with registration from 10:00 to 11:00 on Wednesday 3 October, and finishes around 15:00 on Thursday 4 October.
The programme for the symposium.
Map of all venues.
The opening symposium will take place in the Hay Room which is on the first floor of the Dewar's Centre. This will be signposted from reception.
AV equipment will include OHP, data projector, laptop, flipchart and screen.
Team event – Curling
A curling session will take place at the Dewar’s Centre on Wednesday 3 October at TBA.
Each team will have a curling instructor.
- You will receive a safety talk before you go on the ice.
- No alcohol to be consumed before you go on the ice.
- Wear CLEAN SOLED RUBBER TRAINERS (Outdoor trainers are fine as long as they are clean).
- Wear loose fitting trousers and warm layers on top to remove if hot.
Overnight accommodation has been reserved for Wednesday 3 October only.
Please use the registration form to let us know whether you require accommodation.
Details of the accommodation and the event will be emailed to participants closer to the time.
How to get there
The Dewar's Centre where the Symposium will be held is located off Glover Street in Perth. Location details for the centre can be found by viewing this map. You might also find this map of all venues useful.
From the Bus Station travel north along Leonard Street, then left into Caledonian Road. At the junction with Glasgow Road turn left and cross the railway bridge. Glover Street is on the left past the bridge. There is also a pedestrian walkway which links Glasgow Road to the Dewar's Centre.
Perth Train Station, Leonard Street, Perth, Perthshire, PH2 8ET. Perth has train links with Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leuchers (via Dundee) and Stirling. Click National Rail for timetables.
From the Train Station travel north along Leonard Street, then left into Caledonian Road. At the junction with Glasgow Road turn left and cross the railway bridge. Glover Street is on the left past the bridge. There is also a pedestrian walkway which links Glasgow Road to the Dewar's Centre.
For directions visit RAC Routeplanner.
There will be a charge for students attending this event - you should ask your department if they will cover the cost.
Students can claim their travel reimbursements from your department.