2021-22: 1st Symposium
Wednesday 29th September 2021
The SMSTC opening symposium for 2021-22 was held online on Wednesday 29 September 2021.
The programme included talks on the core modules and several of the supplementary modules, as well as talks on aspects of your life as a PhD student, and a chance to meet some of your fellow students. The presenters' slides are available below:
- Welcome (David Pritchard, SMSTC Director)
- The PhD process and how to get through it (Ana Lecuona)
- Theme talk: Applications of Mathematics (Richard Scott, Theme Head)
- Supplementary module: Fourier and Harmonic Analysis (Jonathan Hickman, Module Leader)
- Theme talk: Probability & Statistics (Fraser Daly, Acting Theme Head)
- Supplementary module: Introduction to Geometric Group Theory (Alessandro Sisto, Module Leader)
- Theme talk: Analysis (Heiko Gimperlein, Theme Head)
- Societies and networking:
- Edinburgh Mathematical Society (Rachel Norman)
- Royal Statistical Society (Kate Pyper)
- University and College Union (Emily Roff)
- Theme talk: Structure & Symmetry (Ana Lecuona, Theme Head)
- Supplementary modules: Geometry of Gauge Fields / Integrable Systems (Bernd Schroers, Module Leader)
- What happens next? (Fraser Daly, Deputy Director)
We will be following this up with two events, tentatively scheduled as follows:
Friday 19 November 2021: research skills for PhD students.
Friday 14 January 2022: introduction to teaching for PG tutors
Please put these dates in your diary, and we'll provide more information when we have it!