1st Symposium, 2020-2021
Wednesday 30th September 2020 - Thursday 1st October 2020
The SMSTC Opening Symposium for 2020-21 was held online on Wednesday 30 September and Thursday 1 October 2020.
The programme includes talks which introduce the four core themes and a selection of supplementary modules. There were also be talks on the PhD process, on teaching/tutoring, and on some of the professional bodies that you might consider joining. Thank you to everybody who contributed!
We will post the presenters' slides here as we receive them.
- Welcome (David Pritchard, SMSTC director)
- The PhD process and how to get through it (Sira Gratz)
- Theme talk: Applications of Mathematics (Richard Scott, Theme Head)
- Supplementary module talk: Combinatorics on Words (Sergey Kitaev)
- Supplementary module talk: Inverse Problems (Anna Kirpichnikova)
- Theme talk: Structure & Symmetry (Sira Gratz, Theme Head)
- Supplementary module talk: History of Mathematics (Michael Barany)
- Teaching and tutoring (Michael Grove)
- Societies, unions and networking (Michael Grove, IMA; Gavin Gibson, Edinburgh Mathematical Society; Kate Pyper, RSS;
Emily Roff & Josh Fogg, University and College Union)
See also the UCU Edinburgh PGR welcome pack, UCU St Andrews COVID factsheet, and UCU St Andrews PGR tutor induction.
- Theme talk: Probability & Statistics (Natalia Bochkina, Theme Head)
- Supplementary module talk: Geometry of Gauge Fields (Bernd Schroers)
- Theme talk: Analysis (Heiko Gimperlein, Theme Head)
- What happens next? (David Pritchard)