Theme: Structure and symmetry
Theme head: Professor Ivan Cheltsov
Lectures [Thursdays, 13:00-15:00]
- Lecture 1, 10.01.2019: Submanifolds of Euclidean space, the Implicit Function Theorem, abstract manifolds.
- Lecture 2, 17.01.2019: Tangent vectors and the tangent bundle, vector bundles.
- Lecture 3, 24.01.2019: Vector fields and flows, Lie derivative, the Frobenius Theorem. (Lecture by Alexander Shapiro.)
- Lecture 4, 31.01.2019: Differential forms, integration on manifolds.
- Lecture 5, 07.02.2019: de Rham cohomology.
- Lecture 6, 14.02.2019: Riemannian metrics, connections, the Levi-Civita connection. (Lecture by Andrea Appel.)
- Lecture 7, 21.02.2019: Geodesics, the exponential map. (Lecture by Sjoerd Beentjes.)
- Lecture 8, 28.02.2019: Curvature and integrability, Riemannian curvature, spaces with constant curvature.
- Lecture 9, 07.03.2019: Geometry of hypersurfaces of Euclidean space, the Gauss-Bonnet Theorem.
- Lecture 10, 14.03.2019: Curvature and topology: Chern-Weil theory, second variation arguments, the Bochner technique.
- Assignment 1 is due on Friday of Week 8, March 1st, 2019
- Assignment 2 is due on Friday April 19th, 2019
Working knowledge of metric spaces, linear algebra, group theory, vector calculus, topological spaces, the fundamental group, homology.